
July 24
Hereʼs a typical start to one of my days on set:
Model/Client: What brand of makeup is that?
Me: 'Mary Kay'
M/C: 'Really'?
Me: 'Yes, really.' M/C: 'Wow, I love it!'
While there are many editors and models that know I use Mary Kay products on a regular basis, there are still many who don't and are surprised by my choice to use it. Why would a professional artist, who has access to any brand, choose to use Mary Kay?
O.K., I'll admit it.When I started working with Mary Kay several years ago I had the same misconceptions: Mary Kay = Pepto-pink packaged makeup for older women, not makeup for the modern gal. Boy was I wrong … not only about the packaging, but everything else it seemed.
While I couldn't care less about packaging (most of my products are de-potted to fit into my kit), I’ll only use quality, cruelty-free makeup that will go on easily, is highly pigmented and will photograph beautifully. Mary Kay fits the bill for me on all counts and it seems that more and more people are catching on to what has been one of my staple brands for years. You can't open a magazine or read a blog without reading raves about Mary Kay's latest products.
Case in point, a recent beauty post by fab blogger Janine at BeautyGeeks.com. She was so inspired by one of my recent stories for Fashion Magazine that she wrote to ask what I used and how I achieved such a radiant glow on our model.
While Janine wasn't surprised by my extensive use of Mary Kay, one of her readers was. Lesa asked ”Loved this shoot! But really, ALL Mary Kay, D?”. Check out BeautyGeeks to read my guest post, see what I used and read the comments.
But let's get back to the ageism. Is this a brand only suited to those in their 50s, 60s and beyond?You tell me by comparing the images below.
The image on the left is of Maye Musk for the May ʼ11 Fashion Magazine spread, ʻWhite Noiseʼ and the image on the right is of Sasha Barns from my recent May ʼ11 Flare Magazine spread ʻCuts Aboveʼ. Two different generations rocking an identical look!
Do I use different application techniques and textures on a mature face vs. a younger face? Sure, but sometimes the same rules apply no matter what the age of my model. For instance, I tend to use mostly matte products on skin that has either fine lines or blemishes, as shimmer tends to highlight both.
Bottom line: Mary Kay is an ageless brand that is, in fact, gaining a reputation for being up to the minute with the hottest trends and products. Iʼm proud to carry it in my kit, and moreover, have learned you can't judge a shadow by its compact.
And, because I'm asked all the time, here are just a few of my current fav products:
- Mary Kay Creme Lipsticks in Sunny Citrus & Whisper
- Mary Kay Cream Eye Color in Beach Blonde
- Mary Kay Cream Blush in Cranberry & Sheer Bliss
Looking forward to seeing you all at Seminar 2011!
Photography by Miguel Jacob for Fashion Magazine
Photography by Chris Nicholls for Flare Magazine


Thanks Diana for this blog post. LOVE it!!! Now there's more reason to tell people that Mary Kay product is really good for all ages.
ReplyDelete